Wednesday, June 12, 2019

12A- Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 1

Segment
For my segment, I decided to do a psychographic segmentation of people who watch most of their TV on a chair, sofa in their living room. I interview three people under the age of 25 of different households to gather diverse data.

Need awareness
After interviewing three people, I have found out that the majority of the time where these people realized that this product would be useful was when they fail to locate their remote controller when they wish to switch the channel, switch the show on Netflix, lower/raise the volume, etc. This typically happens after long-sittings watching TV or when many people have a say in what is played on TV. This also occurs at night when people are falling asleep, this is when people become the most emotional since they hate when they have to lose their sleep in order to find the remote in order to turn the TV off. To some people, it has taken them weeks before they can find the remote again.

Information search
When my consumers become aware of the need, that is, when they cannot find their control remote, the very first thing that they do is to look below and in-between the pillows and sheets, followed by the night table and drink table, and then proceed to the rest of the living room/bedroom depending on its interior design. Since it is nothing that Google, for example, can help you with, no one really looks for other sources of information rather than just looking for the control remote. They talk to friends and family once they cannot find the controller and they think that the person whom they are asking will have a better idea.

Summary
Learning exactly WHEN my consumers become aware of the need was a very crucial step, in my opinion, in developing this business. Most of the information acquired, due to the fact that it is not a very complicated scenario, was previously researched and analyzed.

Drawing Conclusions
I would describe this segment as mainly homebodies who like to watch TV as they are falling asleep, tend to be lazy and want everyday tasks to be as efficient and as easy as possible.

2 comments:

  1. This exemplifies me in too many ways. I lost the remote under the couch for like two weeks even though I knew it was there, I was just too lazy to lift the couch up and get it. You do really have an ingenious idea. I like how you differentiate the people that lose the remote while their falling asleep versus the people who just sit on the couch for long durations. How much would one of your couches or pieces of furniture cost?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Diego! I really like how relatable your product is to many Americans. I have a small black TV remote in my bedroom and I probably lose it at least once a week, even if its only for thirty seconds. I do find that my first place to search for information to its whereabouts its usually crammed up behind my bed and the wall. I really think your product would be a decent opportunity, especially if you can keep the costs down while maintaining a quality look.

    ReplyDelete