Friday, June 14, 2019

13A- Reading Reflection No. 1

Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future, Ashlee Vance

1) - What surprised me the most about Musk is the fact that he got beat up as a kid and that did not stop him from being so confident and determined around people.
- What I admire most about Musk is the fact that he is not driven by money, but rather driven by ideas.
- What I admire the least is the fact that he is not as great a leader as many of his workers have shown complaints by the expectations, hours, treatment, etc. that must exhibits to his clients. I do not give him much fault, though, since he did get beat up as a child and he has to be bad at ONE thing.
- The entrepreneur did encounter adversity and failure, such as getting beat up as a child and have a large amount of people who disbelieve and talk down all of Elon Musk's space exploration ideas. Musk simply does not listen to those people and continues to prove them wrong. As a child, he moved to Canada, away from South Africa, in order to not get beat up and be successful.

2) Elon Musk exhibits competency in pretty much everything he tries. He built, not one, but two companies and sold them to make around $250 million to then create SpaceX and Tesla, who are both really successful companies right now. His company built the first ever rocket to go up and then land in the exact same spot that it took off. Elon Musk simply has a trait for being incredibly determined and is a very smart guy with the ability of creating these things.

3) Some parts of the reading that were confusing to me is when the reading got a little bit too technical or scientific. As someone who struggled in Science in high school, some words were very complex, although they did not really change the plot or any of the ideas that the book was trying to portray, it was just included in some examples.

4) When do you think you will be satisfied? Has doubt ever ran through your head?

- I would ask these two questions because: I would like to know, although he is a very successful person and has accomplished wonderful things, if he is really happy, or if he feels that he needs to accomplish something, and if so, what that something is. The second question, I would ask it because I feel that doubt is what prevents everyone from actually going through with something, a business idea, for example.

5) I think that Elon Musk's definition of hard work would be absurd. His colleagues mentioned how while they would work 20 hours a day, Musk would work 23. I think this definition of hard work is a little bit too insane to the point where it is unhealthy and inhumane.

3 comments:

  1. Elon Musk is awesome. My goal is to on a Tesla one day. He did so much and the is still working. There is no quit or feeling as he has done enough, which he has. That is essentially what makes him so good. Plus, he is supposedly not a bad guy, supposedly down to earth. That is until he completes his Space-X working and goes to another planet. If there was someone I think that would be crazy enough to attempt it, I definitely think Elon Musk would be the person. If everyone worked as hard as Elon Musk, imagine how crazy the world would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think his treatment of his workers reflects his own passion and drive. He seems to put so much work into his projects, he must simply expect them to match his own pace. I'm sure for them it feels different, since they aren't their ideas or money or projects but I think his work ethic is pretty admirable. He is an all around smart guy, it would be pretty cool to meet him at some point

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Diego,

    Elon Musk is a true genius. The things he did with SpaceX to pioneer the concept of actually saving the rocket pieces instead of completely building new ones is legendary. I really like that you appreciate what he has accomplished as I have been a big fan since I live near Port Canaveral. However, I do believe he should limit the harsh hours as getting beat up as a kid should be no excuse for poor social awareness.

    ReplyDelete