Friday, July 12, 2019

20A- Growing Your Social Capital

1) Martin Eseverri - Engineering student at UF. He will be the "domain expert" since he knows a lot about constructing technical products. I found this person through connections made with friends at UF. Martin explained how feasible it would be to make this product, which really would not be difficult at all. However, he said that the hard parts come with how many extensions I want to create for the product. This would include a speaker system, for example, refrigerators, etc. Including Martin in my network allows me to have more knowledge and more connections when I will approach the actual building of the product. 
2) Sonia Prieto- Event Manager with focus on aesthetics. Sonia fit as a market expert because she is used to dealing with many different types of people, and organizing different types of events to meet different needs. I found Sonia because I worked with her when I lived back home and I just gave her a call. Sonia told me that the product was really good, and she gave me some of her thoughts at we can make the sofa look better, and what types of furnitures could be used most for businesses as well as events. Including Sonia will help me because she will help me spread the word about my product since she was worked with so many professionals.

3) Sabrina Bolivar- Sabrina is a former soccer teammate's mom of mine. She is a salesman and has worked for different companies selling all kinds of products, ranging from skin care to real estate. Sabrina will be the supplier because she is used to selling products to any type of industry. I asked my friend for her number and gave her a call. Sabrina told me how to approach potential clients and what to look for when speaking to a possible client of mine. She also gave me tips and tricks on where to start and how to be noticeable.

Reflection: This experience helped how I would participate in future networking events because it taught me how to think about other people that might have to do with selling and even making the product. This experience did differ from other networking events because in others that I have been to, I was mostly selling myself. In this one, it was the first time that I was "selling" a product. 

4 comments:

  1. Hello Diego,
    I agree with your statement about these new business connections helping you to sell your product. In previous networking opportunities, we usually talked about ourselves and what experience and skills we have. Now, we were given the opportunity to focus on our business plans. When I read that you met Martin Eseverri at UF through friends, I learnt that UF is a great place to network, because there are so many professors and students from all around the globe at the school that are experts at something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Networking is a crucial part of college. Personally, I am an online student so that is one of the main things I am missing out on. You have to ability to meet new people everyday in college and the potential opportunites of that are priceless. From meeting with teachers to other students, you will never have a time in your life where everyone has the same goals like now. Sell you product to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Diego,
    I think its great that you found someone so local and close to you. Having a tight nit relationship with your designer is extremely important when considering the execution and launch of a product. They are the person or persons thats going to be the most direct source to the development and design of the product; they are the ones that are going to construct your image/idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, Diego. I definitely agree with you when you stated this type of networking situation was vastly different than the ones that I've encountered in the past. Selling a product versus selling your capabilities and personality are somewhat similar but not identical. I like how diverse your networking was and hopefully they could benefit you in the future if you decide to pursue this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete