Friday, July 26, 2019

26A - Celebrating Failure

     I have failed many times in my life. However, I have learned to get up and be better than before as well as my strengths and weaknesses, and how to best utilize them.
     My most impactful, yet recent, failure has been when I had to drop out of my Business Finance class. Even though I would watch all of the lectures, read the textbook, and study for 14 hours before each exam, the material was just too much for me which led me to not be able to get good grades on the exams. That class taught me that, I was not good at math (which I always knew), and that I am not Superman and I cannot be a full time employee while also having 3 classes online plus Business Finance.
     Failure is hard, no one likes to go through it. Failure can come easy or hard depending on how much you care about the subject. However, failure is probably the best thing that can happen to you, because it will be likely that you will never have that mistake again. It forces you to reflect, analyze and reach a conclusion on what alternatives you can use next time. Which is also good because it makes you hopeful for that next time.
      Personally, I do not like to fail. I take it harsh but realize quickly that it is just a part of the process. I am a very competitive person and want the best possible outcome each and every time. This class has not really changed my perspective on failure since I have not actually failed any assignments and have not created any product in order to experience failure. I am always likely to take risks.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Diego,

    It is great that you were able to overcome this failure and learn from it. Business Finance is known as one of the hardest business classes at UF. I was surprised when you said you were working full time and taking three classes on top of that. I would never imagine myself doing this, because I would be so overwhelmed. You are a very hard working and I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even with the failure, the fact that you chose to tackle that much work is really impressive! I have to agree on the math front, it's a significant problem for me as well. I think it's cool that you were willing to take a chance to push your abilities and even if you failed, you were able to learn how much work you could take on before it becomes ineffective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Diego. Business Finance was definitely a tough class and you shouldn't beat yourself for not mastering the concepts your first attempt at it. I agree with you that the best way to move forward after failure is to learn from your mistakes so you can do better the next time you try that obstacle. It's also cool to see that you are a fellow risk taker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Diego,
    Like you I am horrible at math. I have had to drop out of STA2023 because of how poorly I would perform in the class. Math is like life, it isn't easy but at times we need to push ourselves through it to get to the end and do well for ourselves; once we get it over with, its cake!

    ReplyDelete